Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Weight management diets for south Indian people


I am a fatty women and having 85 kg. I realized I have to reduce my weight to around 30 kg. Not only for making myself beautiful, but also to make my life comfortable. I am lazy. But I had to do it for my good living. So I searched in the internet and read so many articles. But I haven't seen a single diet and exercise which can be realized for a south Indian housewife. But when I have gone though internet I have seen a query in a forum Like

Weight management diets for south Indian people

Query was


" Hello everyone !
I have searched the internet far and wide but could not find a decent website that describes an easy to follow menu system for weight management goals ESPECIALLY FOR SOUTH INDIANS. I am specifically looking for  nutrition information  of different  south indian food  items and also ingredients. If you are in the nutrition, dietetics field or if you are an avid collector of such information please post them here. I am sure it would be helpful to a lot of people. Thank you very much !
"
For this query Rakhi@insect.4cs.com has given good reply. I want to try this and I think it is suitable for South  Indians. The reply follows


Only a combination of diet and exercise will give you successful weight loss. 

I had to try several methods before I found an effective method. 
I tried low-fat diets, low-calorie diets and low-carb diets.As a kid,I was quite heavy.at age 16 and 5'6,I was 65 kilos.6 years of college life and I went up to 75 kilos.during my marriage,I weighed 80 kilos.After I came to USA,my weight skyrocketed and I reached 205 pounds!!!!! 
my family and friends told me I was built that way and there was nothing I cud do.I was never fussy about any kind of food.I just didn't realize whats happening.Then one day,I saw some photos of mine taken during summer.I was shocked.Is this how i looked???Then started my frantic efforts to lose weight. 
when I was in India,people convinced me that eating only low-fat or fat-free food and abstaining from non-veg means I cud lose weight. that is what I did for last 6-8 years but my weight only went up.then I knew something had to be wrong.  


CALORIE 
========= 
I did a lot of research on the web and put them into practice. 
here's all those hard-earned lessons. 
we all need energy for daily activities.we get this energy from food. 
suppose a person needs 1500 calories for his daily activities.and he eats ,say,3000 calorie food a day .ie 1500 extra calories he consumes per day.what happens to the excess calories.It is stored as fat in body for later use.suppose he continues this habit for one year .ie 1500 * 365 calories are stored as fat in his body.This is just an illustration to tell you about calorie. 
you can burn calories through physical activities.suppose you consume a 2000 cal. diet. 
but you require only 1500 cal. of energy a day.if you exercise to burn 500 cal.s 
then no excess calories remain which will convert to fat.

3500 calories approximately. = 1 pound. 
so if u want to reduce 1 pound,do exercise to burn 250 calories everyday for 1 week,and consume 250 cal.s less food everyday for 1 week.lets do the math. 
250*7=1750 cal.s 
suppose you eat 2500 cal.s a day.reduce that to 2250 calories a day..ie 1750 cal.s less in one week. 
total you eliminated 1750 + 1750 =3500 calories. 
ie 1 pound in a week. 
Cool or what? 

I put this golden rule to practice and lost 20 pounds initially. my diet and exercise regimen was as follows: 



Exercise 
======== 
Everyday I went to Gym,morning and evening,and worked out for 2 hours.I did elliptical fitness,life fitness,rowing etc. 
Its not necessary to go to Gym.u can walk outside if climate is good.but u must walk briskly for at least 30min.-1 hour. 
start slowly,maybe even 5 minutes and slowly increase the time.stop if u feel dizzy,fainting or out of breath.In that case,check with your doctor.drink lots of water between workouts.wear loose comfortable clothing preferably cotton or sweat shirts and pants.MUST wear sports shoes to protect your feet.I started with 15 min.s and now I can do for 2-2 1/2 hrs,whether walking outside or going to gym.


Diet 
======= 
Breakfast: 1 banana 
1 cup milk 
2 rusks 

Lunch: 3chappathis,vegetable curry 

snack:tea,biscuits 
dinner: 2 chappathis/upma/rice gruel/sandwich etc 

lots of fruits, occasionally non-veg food 

I did lose 20 pounds by following this diet and exercise.I would suggest anyone having to lose less than 20 pounds to follow this.drink lots of water too.try to eat a well balanced meal.there is no need to deprive urself of good nutrients for losing weight. 

But then I hit a plateau at 180 pounds.

I stayed at 180 pounds for 3 months.A plateau is staying at your weight no matter how much exercise or diet u do. 
I found out that I needed some more info and needed to change certain bad food habits I had,which was deep rooted in me from my family. 


CARBOHYDRATES 
============= 
Most Indian people would frown when they hear the word low-carb. I too was one among them.I did not know much about it and thought that it was fraud.until I found 3 of my friends lose weight on low-carb. I just did some research on that too.I feel I found out the missing pieces of my weight-loss journey.:-)

well here it goes: 
there are 6 essential nutrients required for us from food.: 
carbohydrates 
vitamins 
minerals 
fats and oils 
protein 
water 

out of these ,carbohydrates are mostly the ones that give us energy.the same story goes here too.consuming too many carbs will make u gain weight. carbs are converted to sugar in our blood and used for energy.but what about excess sugar we have.our body stores them as fat for later use when we require extra energy.



carbohydrate rich foods include white rice,wheat,all types of grains,starchy fruits and veggies,all kinds of sweets,sugar,desserts,soft drinks etc. 
in my family,we ate a lot of white rice flour and white rice.breakfasts were mostly made of rice flour,lunch and dinner was rice,evening snacks with maida and sugar.and to top all that ,I ate large portions also.my belief was that unless they do not contain oil or non-veg,it was safe to eat them. 
I changed my diet to a combination of low-carb,low calorie diet,and continued with exercise.I lost the rest of my weight in a couple of months,and achieved my ideal weight.my size was 16 previously,now it is 4/6.I used to shop in extra size shops,now I need to go to Juniors section to get T shirts all my physical problems. like leg pain,fatigue etc have reduced.People don't realize me now.I feel so happy about myself.at the same time,i never want to go back to my previous weight again.


my low-carb diet consisted of a combo of Atkins,south beach and Zone.don't mistake me,i wasn't eating tons of cheese and bacon.I don't like both these foods,anyway.there are many good points in these diets(along with bad ones).we need to take all good aspects and discard bad ones. that is what we Indians do ,right. 

I am a big fan of sweets,esp.cake.I cannot go a day without sweets.but while on diet,I never touched them.if I can do that,anybody can lose weight. 

These are some tips from me: 

planning 
=========== 
1. if u think u need to lose weight,first plan properly.take measurements of your height and weight.see how much u should be ideally. another way is to calculate your BMI. ideally we should be between 20 and 25. 
once u decide what weight u should be,set your mind to achieve that.u are more likely to succeed

2.exercise is a must. do it at least 1/2 hr. when u start losing weight and feel better,u will want to increase the time. please don't overdo it.like exercising even when u are sick. listen to your body.


3.avoid or cut down these foods: 
enriched flours 
bleached flours 
maida 
store bought condiments like ketchups,sauces etc 
sweets 
desserts 
too much sugar 
too sugary fruits(watermelon,banana..) 
too starchy veggies(potatoes..) 
pasta 
restuarant foods like burger,muffins etc 

include these foods in ur diet: 
whole grains 
fresh fruits 
fresh veggies 
leafy veggies 
milk 
yogurt 
nuts 
white meat 
fish 
occasional red meat(if u really want them) 
eggs 
etc


4.drink 64 ounces(8 glasses) of water everyday.water helps in weight loss and u feel full, so u won't eat much.drink 2 glasses of water before meals. 
5.when u feel hungry,snack on nuts,salads fruits etc.u feel full faster than snacking on chips and cookies.u can eat a whole bag of chips and cookies and still want more. 
6.when u have to eat out, eg: parties,get together etc. eat a small meal and go.when u are full already,u won't stuff yourself at the party.I got this idea from Atkins site and it has always worked for me. 

I am sure I have missed a lot of other good points,which i will add later.if any questions comments please feel free to ask.

some people ask me ,our forefathers ate a lot of rice and starchy veg.s and they didn't have any sickness.why should we cut down on them. but our forefathers had lots of physical activity.they had to walk on foot or cycle to anywhere.schools and offices were few and far. markets were also only in some places.in kitchen,they had no grinders,mixers,cookers,no gas.firewood had to be cut,dried and stacked up. water had to be drawn from wells or ponds for every use such as bathing,cooking,cleaning,laundry,gardening etc. 
there were no washing m/cs.In my grandma's place,they used to have cattle and they had to feed them and bathe them too.Just imagine how many calories they spent on average one day. 
but what about us.we sit on chair and sofa ,at office,or in front of tv. but we still follow the menu followed by our forefathers.just think about it.



I have read it and didn't edit it anywhere . And Planning to do the same. Please pray for me not to be lazy and make my health good. My BMI is 40 and If I couldn't reduce it , I will have some Serious health issues.
My aim is to reduce at least 10kg in an year.  Why I am posting this because so many are searching for this result and not easy to get it.
The original link is
http://forumhub.com/southfood/26293.24327.20.39.58.html

8 comments:

Bala said...

sure deepa chechi :)
u can do it

Best mouse said...

I think it is the best solution for making good fit your body. There is more information. It is useful. I like this kind of blog. Great blog thanks for admin. If you want to control your body you can get useful information from here.
best exercises to lose weight

Unknown said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random information that's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting. Balanced Diet || Diet Plan || Balanced Diet Plan

Unknown said...

I have to say that overall I am truly impressed with this site. It is easy to notice that you are passionate regarding your writing. If only I had your writing talent I watch for much more posts and will be coming back. Weight Management || Causes of High Blood Pressure || Healthy Diet

Unknown said...

This is nice article and unique information related to health. Thank you for sharing a good information with us. Reduce your weight naturally || Step Up Height growth fomula || Sandhi Sudha Oil || No Addicton Powder || Hanuman Chalisa Yantra

Unknown said...

THE 3 WEEK DIET is a revolutionary new diet system that not only guarantees to help you lose weight — it promises to help you lose more weight — all body fat — faster than anything else you’ve ever tried.
how to lose weight fast

Unknown said...

Kyakhaon tells us to make the body enough energy and carbohydrates for the day.
Diet chart for weight loss | Indian diet plan

obesy.blogspot said...

Please also read http://obesy.blogspot.com/2016/01/weight-loss-diet-plan-for-south-indian.html